The Hubby and I did our interview mock--up over and over again (haha. that's how we call it) ever since I landed in KL last Friday, thus making the pressure even higher than ever when it came to the actual day. You see, I had to fork out RM500(or USD131) to apply for the visa 3 weeks back.. So, for sure la I need to get it right at the first try, no matter what. They will not refund you the money should your application is declined

Off I went to the embassy office last Monday. My appointment time was at 10am and there I was standing at the gate with 10 other people waiting for our turn to enter the building. The Hubby didn't accompany me for this because they only allow those coming with the appointment letter to enter the building, and The Hubby has gotten his 10 years visa 2 years ago. Upon entering the "pondok keselamatan", we were scanned for any misharp and were required to leave our handphones there.
It was a long waiting before the interview. Full fingers scanning and as such. Geez. In total? I got out from the building after 1 hour and 40 minutes! And the interview part? It's like dealing with bank teller at a bank. Each counter will have one interviewer ( American ) and you are to stand facing them, except there's a fully covered glass panel between you. You will have to speak in a higher desibel than the normal chat so that they can hear you, and I basically listened to around 10 or more interviews before it was my turn. (there's 6 counters for interview session)
I got a bit nerveous when I saw this American lady declining a guy's visa application. His intention of entering US was not clear. I got even more freaked out when a Malay lady got declined too. When it was my turn, I was shaky all over, but like normal la, I acted cool. Greeted the Chinese American with huge smile. Gave him all the answers he needed to hear, like my intention of going to US and a bit about my work scope.
This part's funny though..
Him : Is this your new passport? May I have a look at your old passport?
Me : That's the only passport I ever had.
Him : (He flipped through the passport several times). You mean you've never been out of Malaysia?
Me : (I smiled) Never.
Him : Not even Bangkok, Thailand or Phillippines? Even Singapore?
Me : Ehe. No. Not once.
Him : Wow. You've never been out of Malaysia and your first trip with passport is going to be The States? That's impressive.
Me : Well, my husband decided to give me a surprise by doing our honeymoon in LA. Plus it's for Christmas and my birthday.
Him : It's a very good treat, I must say. ( He smiled, still looking awed.. Looking at his computer screen.) Ah yes, your birthday falls on Christmas day.
Me : Yes. It is.
And the interviewed ended when he passed me a pink-coloured small card, asking me to collect the visa at MCA Complex. I almost jumped in joy when he passed me that. And the coolest part is, I didn't have to show him as much document stuff as the rest people who were interviewed before me. Guess working with government does makes everything less complicating huh? They're just one click away from all my personal datas anyway, and therefore they do not need my hardcopy documents.
Thinking I might get a 1- month visa, I braved myself and asked the interviewer.
Him : I'm granting you a 10- year visa. (BIG YAY!). But this doesn't mean that you can stay in The States for the straight 10 years. You have to travel back to your country by 3 months of stay and get your passport check again before entering the country.
I gave him my 1MillionDollar smile.
Him: ( I was starting to walk away when I heard him from the intercom) Congratulations on your wedding and happy honeymoon!
I just can't wait to sing "PARTY IN THE USA" in USA... wooooooo hoooo!
owh yeahhhhhh party in the us of A!!!
ReplyDeletecongrats. thats awesome lah to be granted 10 years visa. no need to go back for interview again kan?
i wonder if getting a visa to enter Down Under wud be the same procedure.
LOL!!!
ReplyDeleteNow this is a very happy post.. Bet the guy loves to see you smile :P
p/s: Dont tell Jon I said that. Jeles dia nanti, alu dibelasahnya orang puteh ya :P
C.Carol : yerp! no need to undergo the process for 10 years.. cool huh?
ReplyDeletewhere is Down Under?.. OZ? as far as I'm concern, only applying for US visa requires interview. Other country just bayar only..
Cyril : ehe..Jon told me that I've this innocent and honest look. And maybe that's why that counter guy just let me go. The only document he read was my marriage cert..I didnt even have to show my department's confirmation letter.
i wen thru the same thing back in 2007 :D i know exactly how you feel :D..i still have my visa and would love to go back to NYC if time permits me and of cos..Moolah sudah bertimbun la...hahahah
ReplyDeleteCongrats gurl..and have fun in your honeymoon :D
Down under is Australia mun sik silap. Man I'd really like to travel, but kind of broke. Hutang keliling pinggang... :-(
ReplyDeleteNgabang gi kampung ajak la...
Ya, OZ. My Perth vacay is in early Sept. Gosh, havent been planning much for that. Erghhh....
ReplyDeletecongrats dee!!! i can tell that ure overjoyed when i read ur text!!! hahaha.. m happy 4 u
ReplyDeletelove, eda..
Emelda: good for you! :) After this LA trip, him and I are planning to go to Miami. He has aunties there.. but that's gonna happen perhaps after 3 to 4 years.. like you said, moolah tarak! hahah..
ReplyDeleteCyril : auk.. anywhere is fine. as long as we're happy.. right?
C.Carol : wow! that's sooooo soon!.. Matta Fair is gonna happen again this Sept. perhaps you and yr husband can check out the promotions there for yet another trip.,ehe..
Eda: ooo, ya lah kan! ko orang kedua yang tauk aku dapat visa approval lepas interview ya.. wow, come to think abt it again, you're always among the first to know whatever that's happening in my life..
best eh...jeles jeles
ReplyDeleteSaytunt: bah, ko mok pesan Coach sik? ehe.. Levi's jean ku dengar murah sinun ..
ReplyDelete